- Many European buildings are old, meaning they may contain equipment that’s older than its design life.
- Renewables are not widely used in the sector
- A great volume of energy is being wasted, as the heat generated during industrial processes and released into the atmosphere or water is estimated to be enough to cover the EU’s entire residential and tertiary heating demand.
The extensive strategy proposes the following measures:
- Make renovating buildings easier
- Increase the share of renewables
- Reuse waste heat and cold from industrial processes
- Actively involve consumers and industries