Friday, 8 April 2016

A fire at a London restaurant at the end of March which saw 13 people – including five children – rescued by firefighters provided a stark warning about the dangers of dirty ductwork in commercial kitchen extract systems.

Seventy-two firefighters were required to extinguish the blaze on Hounslow High Street in west London, which originated in the restaurant’s extract ductwork system and also affected residential flats on the three floors above it.  

Gibbons HVAC Services Manager Andrew Knight says: “This potentially-fatal incident demonstrates the serious risk posed by the build-up of fat, oil and grease deposits in kitchen ductwork. Not only can grease cause fires to begin, it also transmits heat and flames extremely quickly. With multiple ignition sources such as flaming woks and gas hobs it’s no wonder that 90 per cent of fires in catering establishments are intensified because of grease deposits.”

It’s clear that kitchen extract ductwork must be cleaned as part of a regular maintenance programme, primarily for safety reasons but also to ensure air handling systems perform to optimum levels while maximising their operational life.

Commercial kitchen operators can protect their staff, diners and premises by having extract ductwork professionally maintained by an experienced provider such as Gibbons HVAC Services. For more information on HVAC servicing and repair across all commercial and industrial sectors, call Andrew Knight on 07850 204915 or email 


Post a Comment


We are UVDB Verify Certified by Achilles and ISO 9001 certified.

We are UVDB Verify Certified by Achilles and ISO 14001 certified.

We are UVDB Verify Certified by Achilles and ISO 18001 certified.
Powered by Blogger.